When your sister visits, you let her pick what you’re going to make. But you really luck out when she and the husband help you measure everything out, and you don’t get anxiety about it because you trust them. I am so particular about people helping me in the kitchen, I only trust a few people, in part around bad experiences, but mostly because I like to control everything. That’s part of the reason I like to bake so much, it’s exact.
Also, I’d rather blame myself for something coming out badly. This however, came out delicious.
Tell me that upper left corner doesn’t look like a smiley face. Try it. I won’t believe you anyway.
Caramel Cookie Bars (previously called caramelitas via the baker upstairs)
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Bag of Caramel Squares (about ~32)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Melt the caramels and heavy cream together in a sauce pan, set aside
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
- Take half the oatmeal mixture and press it into a greased 8×8 pan – bake for 10 minutes
- Take it out of the oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Then pour the cooled off caramel mixture over that
- Take the rest of the oatmeal mixture and sprinkle over the top of the poured caramel
- Bake again for 15-20 min
- Completely cool before cutting (otherwise you’ll have a drippy mess)
The caramel (once cooled) stays pretty gooey, so they taste really good. They’re soft, but have a good cookie consistency. Really easy to make, and easier to eat. 😉 I imagine these would be delicious with another goodie swapped out in place of the chocolate chips – maybe butterscotch chips, or peanut butter chips. Something that would melt nicely. Either way, I’m not complaining.
This goodie will be a solid start to your week – cheers!