Marble Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Oreo Frosting
(Oh yes. Makes 12.)
Recipe adapted from Rebel Without a Sauce
What You’ll Need:
- (For the Cake)
1¾ cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup milk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
(For the Frosting)
- 1½ cups of confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick of butter (softened)
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- 5-7 oreos.
- Preheat your oven toooooo … 350°F!
- Measure your milk and cream together probably in a pyrex (measuring cup) and set aside.
- Whisk together your flour, baking soda and salt. Put a kettle on to boil so you get your boiling water ready for the upcoming part.
- Mix the butter and sugar until combined. Add your eggs and vanilla after that!
- Slowly alternate flour/milk mixtures until they’re both incorporated.
By now, you have finished your vanilla cake!
- Now, take the boiling water and pour it into another bowl, along with your cocoa powder and a cup of your vanilla batter. Make sure you mix this well, you don’t want clumps of powder in your batter.
- Pour in about 1/3 – ½ of a full cupcake in your tin in vanilla batter. Then, put a good spoonful of chocolate batter on top – here’s the tricky part. Take a fork and reach under and around, bringing the vanilla over the top of the chocolate for a marbled effect. If it gets a little muddy, you’re mixing too much. Also, to cheat a little I poured a bit of vanilla on top of the chocolate if I wasn’t happy.
- Bake your cakes for about 20 minutes. Right as you put these in the oven, grab a stick of butter to soften on your counter.
- After your cupcakes are done, your butter should be soft enough to make frosting. Nice! Beat the butter until fluffy, then add in the rest of the ingredients, minus the oreos.
- After your chocolate frosting is nice and fluffy, toss your oreos into the bowl and smash em up with your beaters real good. Since I’m doing this with a hand mixer, I can essentially punch the oreos with my mixer until they’re broken. Then you can run the mixer again until the oreo pieces are fully mixed into the batter.
*Note, do not pipe this frosting, it will look like poop. Just use a frosting spatula and call it a day.
And there you have it. Marbled goodness at your fingertips!
I’m on a roll lately, you guys are inspiring! Next recipe coming soon 😉