Low-Fat Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
AKA “The Maureen”
Adapted from “The Eff Spot”
What you’ll need (for 24 cupcakes)
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (I used two whole bananas)
- 2 individual cups of applesauce (3.9oz each)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of skim milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I have mine from williams sonoma pre-mixed, though cinnamon/nutmeg would be my second choice here)
The How To:
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Mix the flour, brown sugar and baking soda together.
- Mash the bananas together in a separate bowl, add eggs, applesauce and milk until well mixed.
- Mix banana mixture into flour mixture.
- Spoon into cupcake cups and bake for 15 minutes!
Here’s my cream cheese frosting recipe too!
Aside from adding the cream cheese frosting, the way I made this that is different from the original is I switched out the oil for applesauce. Not only does the applesauce make the cupcakes a little more moist, but it eliminates a good amount of calories. Lets take a look:
Without Oil, the cupcakes alone are 100 calories (no frosting)
With Oil, the cupcakes are 150 calories. (still without the frosting)
Now, for the frosting. It’s a little bit of a bummer, but the frosting adds another 100 calories to your cupcake. However, these don’t need a ton of frosting. In the end, this recipe creates a 200 calorie cupcake. Not. Too. Shabby!
I made these little morsels for a coworker, I hope she (and you) like them! Happy birthday Maureen!!