Tye Dye Pies! (Rainbow cupcakes)
What you’ll need:
- 1 box of vanilla (or white) cake mix
- 1 can of sprite!
For the topping:
- Buttercream Frosting + 1 tsp cocoa powder and a little yellow food coloring
- Pour the mix into a bowl, and then pour the entire can of sprite into it. It may foam up, but mix it and you’ll be okay, it’s just the carbonation. (As you stir it, the carbonation gets released out of the soda so you’ll be good.)
- To add the colors, I separated my batter out into 5 bowls (for 5 colors) – if you can manage it, use gel food coloring instead of liquid so it doesn’t change the consistency of your batter.
Typically the recipe yields 24 cupcakes, but I only got 12. I think it’s from the way I spooned my batter into my cakes, but it’s okay. It seemed to work out for me.
- Bake according to the directions on the box!
The decorating for these cupcakes is key here. I used a piping bag and two different tips for the edge and the cross marks. My loving assistant/boyfriend had a lot of fun sorting all of the M&M’s and then putting them on the cupcakes for me, I just took care of the frosting.
The sprite makes this cake super moist! I hope all you guys like it, it’s quite tasty.
Don’t forget to check me out on etsy!