Vanilla Cupcakes (recipe from Good Life Eats) with Cookie Butter Frosting (a bakerhi original!)
Recipe Yield: 20 cupcakes
What you’ll need:
- (For the Cupcakes)
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk (I used lactaid, still came out good)
- 4 egg whites, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup cookie butter/speculoos spread
- 3-4 cups confectioners sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk (add as needed, I used heavy cream in this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Hooray! It’s cupcake time!
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda & powder, salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the sour cream, the egg whites and the milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it’s combined and not lumpy. Add the vanilla and mix. Add in half the sour cream/milk/egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Add a little of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Switch off between adding the egg mixture and the flour mixture, ending with the flour (this is important in other recipes, I don’t know why, but do it anyway)
- Pour into your cupcake lined cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes on the dot. Hooray! We made cupcakes!
- (For the Frosting) Using a hand mixer, mix the crap out of the butter and the speculoos. Add the sugar, and add the milk until it looks nice and creamy. It may take more milk than I suggested, since this was trial and error for me. Then make it pretty with a piping bag and tip. 🙂
Okay that’s all for now.
Write me with recipes you want to try so I can try them for you. 🙂