Vanilla Cookies via Averie Cooks
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk (I used lactaid because I’m a weenie)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
The How-To (follow along with me in this video!):
- Preheat to 350°F
- Cream the sugars and butter together. Add the vanilla, milk & egg.
- In another bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda and salt together.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, only mix until combined (don’t overdo it!)
- Scoop 1-2in balls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet/baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
*Side note, Averie has much more detailed instructions than I just wrote here, and she also suggests that you put the dough into the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Averie’s cookies came out a decent amount fluffier than mine, but I didn’t hear a single complaint when people at work were eating them. If you don’t want to wait, just put the dough in the fridge while you wait for the oven to preheat and between baking batches. 🙂
So there are sugar cookies, and there are vanilla cookies. Nice, soft, quick to make vanilla cookies. Not overwhelming, and not quite sugar. Some sugar cookies need a little frosting on top to keep it interesting. These? Amazing on their own. If you want to have them with tea, coffee, hot chocolate? I’m all for it. Do it. Twice even.
Dee. Lish. Us.