Vanilla whoopie pies with vanilla buttercream frosting
Yield: 12 medium sized whoopie pies
Whoopie pie recipe via Annie’s Eats
These are borderline cookies. They remind me of a good italian black and white cookie, but less doughy and more cakey. I really like fun colored frostings, but I swear whenever I do it, it doesn’t look tasty – so, a little bit of hot chocolate cocoa powder gave a nice sweet little taste to the top and made them look a little prettier 🙂
What you’ll need:
- 8 tbsp (one stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg & 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk (I used soy milk, since it’s all I had – still good!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl
- Combine the butter and sugar in one bowl
- Add the egg and egg white, then vanilla! You’re doing great!
- Add the flour gradually, switching off with the milk (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- Make whatever sized scoops of dough onto a cookie sheet to bake (however big you want your cakes to be) for 7-8 minutes.
Make yourself some frosting while you wait for all your cakes to come out!
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) softened butter
- 16oz. (3.5 cups) confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- If you want, some food coloring of your choice!
Mix all the ingredients together until they form fluffy frosting.
Spread this on your cooled cookies/cakes/pies whatever you’d like to call them, dust them with a little cocoa powder or sugar or whatever, and eat while you watch doctor who, pretending that the blue icing represents the tardis and everything you love.
Or.. whatever. 😉
These are rich and filling! You’ll love them!
Until next recipe,