Here it is! The Chai cookie. My first ever (mostly) original creation that I made with help of the Christina Tosi Monthly course I’m taking all of January.
Recipe: Chai Cookies
A crunchy spicy cookie, perfect for morning tea or afternoon snack. Suggestion from the author: pair with a nice hot drink for the perfect dunk.
- 225g unsalted butter, melted and browned
- (Spices measured in tsps)
- 2 teabags of black tea (I used Welsh Brew tea)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 250g light brown sugar
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2g vanilla extract
- 260g flour
- 3g baking powder
- 3g baking soda
- 6g kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F!
- In a small saucepan, melt down the butter until browned. Remove from heat and add your tea and spices to the hot butter
- In the bowl of your mixer, mix the sugars and hot butter/spice until combined. Make sure the temperature of your bowl is not too warm, so either let the butter cool down for a few minutes, or once in the mix, give it some air.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to your sugar mix – this won’t cream the same way as the original recipe since your butter was melted, but make sure to give it a solid few minutes for mixing
- Add the flour until just mixed, take off the mixer and finish mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake for 12/13 minutes, and have with a cup of tea!
Tag me in your pictures and share your thoughts on instagram at @bakerhi!
I’m not usually one for a crunchy cookie, but I’m super here for a dunkable cookie in some tea or a hot chocolate – and I have it on good authority this is a very good cookie for those things.