Birthdays mean a lot to me. Besides loving my own for an excuse to do things to treat myself all day, I really love spoiling the crap out of my friends. So when one of my besties asks for Boob cupcakes, I certainly don’t want to disappoint.
There was just one problem: This week I came to the decision that I need to test the waters against potentially having celiac’s, which means no gluten (if I can help it). Cupcakes kind of thrive on gluten, but I wasn’t just about to give up. That’s not how I roll.
Enter the gluten free boobcake.
I have to admit – I was a little nervous about posting these up on my site, but then I came to the conclusion that everyone has boobs. I really just wasn’t inclusive enough, I really wished I had more time to make the chocolate frosting I was going to make, but the method of making these was really easy – so please please change the colors and send me pictures of your creations!
As an aside – My cupcakes were extra thick and baked up to look exactly how I dropped them into the cupcake liners – I think it’s because I measured the xanthan gum wrong. BUT. The cupcakes were still crazy good – so if you want to do it exactly how I made them, put in 1 ¼ tsp xanthan gum, but next time I make these I’m going to put in the ¾ tsp like I’m suggesting.
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free flour
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 egg & 1 egg yolk (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup skim milk
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ Candy Melts in the appropriate color
- Preheat to 350 deg F
- Whisk the flour, xanthan gum salt and baking powder!
- Electric-Mix the butter & sugar. Add egg and egg yolk, then the vanilla. Shazam!
- Add in the flour mixture/milk/flour/milk/flour (in parts, like that!)
- Bake these babies in a cupcake pan for 20 minutes! Pop them out to cool.
- Frosting – whip up the butter, then add the sugar vanilla & cream. If it’s too thick, add more cream (but start on the low end). Color/flavor according to your specific skin tones!
- Nipples – Melt a small bowl of candy melts & pour melted chocolate into a piping bag. Make a small cut and pipe rounded nipples on top of frosted cupcakes. The best part about nipples is they come in all shapes and sizes – so if they’re a little off, it’s still good! Embrace the imperfections!
When I bake, I’m very much about the quality of the baked good, not about how much time you spend making them. Obviously presentation is important, but I’m very much about the homemade imperfections. Do you know who cares about the frosting swirls on what is meant to be a boob? Only you and that one judgemental friend that sucks. Or when you first try to put a whole candy melt on the cupcake and it looks like a dog penis. Oops. Everyone else is just excited at the notion, and will happily consume these cupcakes in a matter of minutes. Just enjoy the process and enjoy sharing!
Happy Boobday Midgey!!