Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting
From the book Cupcakes!
What you’ll need:
For the cupcakes (Makes 24):
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the frosting
- 1 stick of softened unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Preheat oven to 350deg F
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in one bowl, set aside.
- Combine butter & sugars until well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Switching off, mix in flour and water/buttermilk approx 3 rounds until all gone.
- Fill cupcake cups 2/3 of the way full and pop them in the oven for 18 minutes.
BAKERHI NOTE: So my first batch was perfect at the 18 minute mark. My second batch needed 20 minutes. The recipe calls for 18-20 min. So, there you have it.
- To make the frosting: Let the butter soften, add in the 3 cups of sugar and the bailey’s. Mix until smooth and whipped, it’ll give you a pretty tan color. (:
The frosting was just enough to cover 21/24 cupcakes. But, these cakes would also go really well with ice cream. #justsayin’
Until next recipe!