Gluten Free & Dairy Free Mini Apple Pies!
Recipe adapted from The Ginger Snap!
(Makes 12 pies)
A little backstory: There’s this awesome girl I work with and the poor thing has so many severe food allergies – the main two being gluten and dairy. For those of you who pretty much can’t eat anything, I really feel ya. It makes me so sad when I hear about it, and she’s learned to love smelling how things taste instead of actually eating them.
One weekend she brought me a bag of apples, and I decided I’d be the worst person in the world if I took them and made something she can’t eat, so I went to the handy-dandy internet and the ginger snap totally came through for me.
So to all you apple loves that are tired of eating applesauce and peanut butter and apples, here’s a change of pace. 🙂
What You’ll Need:
- Kitchenaid mixer (I highly recommend this for this recipe)
- Apple Slicer/Peeler
- For the crust
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 10 tbsp soy butter, chopped and chilled
- ½ cup iced water
For the Filling
- 3 apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (to keep apples fresh)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make the Dough: In your mixer, whisk the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt & conf. sugar together. Good job.
- Add in the butter and let that mix for a minute before adding the water to loosen everything up. The colder this water the better.
- Separate the dough into two parts and wrap in plastic wrap – pop in the fridge for at least 30m
- Filling: If you can snag a friend to help you, do it! Peel & chop up all your apples. I peeled four, the recipe called for 3, I have a lot of extra filling for ice cream sundae’s now 🙂
*TIP* While you’re peeling these, take some lemon juice and toss it in your bowl with the apples so they don’t turn brown. For reals.
- In another bowl, mix up the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, flour, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Throw this in your bowl with the apples and mix up. Boom, apple pie filling.
- At this point, preheat to 375°F
- Back to the Dough: Take one of your dough’s out of the fridge and roll it out decently thin. Cut circles about 3 ½ inches in diameter and lay into a greased cupcake pan. Poke some holes in the bottom of it for good measure.
- Pour your filling into the pie crusts as high as you want it, and cover it up with more pie crust! I did mine all the way across, but you can lattice it or cut out fun shapes or whatever.
*Note: the original poster of this recipe says that you can use an egg wash to glue the dough top and bottom together, I didn’t do that and I didn’t miss it either.
- Bake these little babies for 35 minutes. Voila! Eat your hearts out.
To all my intolerant friends, happy eating!! If you have requests for other recipes, please send them my way!