There’s no easy title for these all-encompassing cupcakes. Devil’s food cake + chocolate pudding filling + marshmallow frosting + oreo crumb topping. Cakemallows makes it seems like the cakes are marshmallows, but they’re kinda fluffy cupcakes anyway.. I think this is fine.
This little monster from Timid Monsters fame just wants to dive in. Let’s not keep him waiting.
When you don’t know what to make, call your Dad and ask him for ideas. Thanks Dad! Pretty sure this was one of my better creations recently. Also happy father’s day! (yes… nailed it)
Recipe: Devil’s Food Cupcakes (from the book Cupcakes)
What you’ll Need:
- (For the Cake) 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Small package of instant chocolate pudding (follow instructions on box!)
- 7oz Fluff
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- Crushed oreo topping, optional
If you’re overwhelmed by this ingredient list – never fear! I am here!
With a video. I made it just for you. Follow along and make the treats! 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- (For the Cake) Mix the butter & sugar together until combined
- Add the vanilla & egg!
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt & baking soda together
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture – start mixing
- Add about half the water & mix until there’s no visible flour
- Add the second third of the flour mixture
- Add in the buttermilk & mix until no visible flour
- Add the last of the flour & water
- Bake for 18-20 minutes + cool
(For the rest)
- Make & set the pudding
- For frosting – Whip up the butter so it’s smooth and can easily mix with no lumps
- Add the fluff, sugar, vanilla and milk – mix with a hand mixer until it’s fluffy and frosting like
- Core the cooled cupcakes with a corer or a spoon/knife, fill with pudding
- Frost & sprinkle with mashed up oreos
I swear to you this is an easy process to follow – and so worth the time following along. Your mouth will be happy. The thickness of the pudding paired with the softness of the marshmallow frosting is awesome, the cupcakes are light, chocolatey and delightful, and sharing is caring.
Let me know if you make them! And I am always taking requests, so if you have a recipe you’d like to watch me make leave me a note in the comments.